What are you doing to quickly capture the attention of your target audiences? When only 28% of words on the average web page are read, it's imperative that you have organized and visually interesting web pages.
"Scannable pages are also much more efficient for task competition. Users are going to achieve their goals faster, they're going to make fewer mistakes in their search for content, and overall this is going to increase your retention rates and the credibility of your site."
Hello and welcome back to our S&E Quick Tips video series, where we share helpful industry tips for you to use and incorporate into your next project.
Today’s topic is about:Keeping your web page content easy to scan through
- This is relatively easy but really impactful way to enhance your web presence
- Scannability is one of the essential factors of web usability today. Because most of your users will scan the page first to find out why and how it’s useful to them. So if nothing catches their eye in the first seconds of viewing, the risk is pretty high that users will leave the page. That’s why it’s so important to keep your pages well laid out and visually interesting.
- Scannable pages are much more efficient for task completion – users will achieve their goals faster, they’ll make fewer mistakes in their search for content and overall it will increase your retention rates and the credibility of your site.
- So, prioritizing content with visual hierarchy would be my first step in creating an easy to scan page. Properly using header tags to organize your content and style them with your H1 tags, H2s, H3s, etc. that designates your main page title(h1), your subtitles (h2), body copy and so on. This positively effects SEO, but it also makes it easy to identify distinct sections of your page at a glance.
- Users can get overwhelmed when they see long paragraphs on a page, so break up the monotony by using different component types that will visually display content in an interesting way.
- For example, we often include components for accordion lists, numbered and bulleted lists, block callouts, image callouts, pull quotes, video and image components, the list goes on, but all of these components are designed and developed to restructure content in an enhanced way.
- We also encourage the use of images throughout the pages as much as possible because people perceive images faster than words, so that also helps increase scannability.
With these tips you can transform stale and text-heavy pages into much more scannable and engaging layouts.
That’s it for today’s tips. Please tune in for more and let us know what topics you’d like us to cover next!